Princeton, NJ – November 17, 2017 – Holiday Malware and Email Scams
As the holidays near we like to remind you to remain vigilant while shopping online, browsing new websites or clicking on “advertisements” within websites that take you to another website.
Most people will likely receive an increased number of email advertisements, offers and eCards from unknown senders that may contain malicious links. Fake advertisements or shipping notifications may deliver attachments infected with malware. Spoofed email messages and phony posts on social networking sites may request support for fraudulent causes.
To avoid seasonal campaigns that could result in security breaches, identity theft, or financial loss, users are encouraged to take the following actions (during the season and year round):
- Avoid following unsolicited links or downloading attachments from unknown sources.
- Do not open email attachments from unknown senders
- Do not install plugins or click on files on websites that are not secure (secure sites have https// in the URL bar up top)
- Ensure your running current End Point Protection on your computer
- Do not use public Wifi hotspots to transmit sensitive information such as personally identifiable information and credit card numbers
- Read the Federal Trade Commission’s blog: Holiday Shopping Tips from the FTC
- Businesses should consider a Cybersecurity Audit and Cyber Security Training from a reputable IT Company
If you believe you are a victim of a holiday phishing scam or malware campaign, consider the following actions:
- File a complaint with the FBI’s Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3).
- Report the attack to the police and file a report with the Federal Trade Commission.
- Contact your financial institution immediately and close or lock any potentially compromised accounts.
- Immediately change any passwords you might have revealed and do not use that password in the future. Avoid reusing passwords on multiple sites.
Blueclone Networks is a Princeton based IT Company with focus on Computer Systems Management and Cloud Services for small & medium sized business in Central NJ.